Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fall in Chicago

It's been a great Autumn in Chicago. Lots of birdwatching, gardening and biking.

Today I raked the leaves with the kids and made a huge pile, that they jumped in and then decided to make into a nest. Needless to say, I didn't get all the leaves raked up. But I did manage to crush up a bunch of leaves and throw them in the garden. Never again will I put them in a bag and leave them in the alley. I even have my husband saving the leaves so we can compost them or cover the garden for the winter.

The last few years I've thrown our pumpkins in the front garden after Halloween and they've really helped fertilize the soil. This particular patch was not very fertile as it had old, unkempt bushes there for decades. Now every spring it blooms with tulips and I'm thrilled to receive many compliments. Nothing brings such beauty and pleasure as nature. Still trying to make this garden flourish beyond spring. Once the leaves come there's a lot of shade and that's challenged me. Plus the front side garden is on a slant and the soil is always getting runoff.
I'm fortunate to live by the north branch of the Chicago River so it's easy to get in some bird watching at a moments notice. The spillway by the North Park track is a great spot. The black crowned night herons have left for the winter, but other ducks are on their way.

I hope you enjoy your Halloween and have a safe and fun time! Remember to compost those pumpkins!

Alexandra Gnoske is a local author and illustrator of childrens books, including "Loui Saves the Earth." She is an environmental expert and writes the Mindful Business Matters Blog for Mindful Metropolis. You can get monthly eco tips for your family and find out about local eco events and sales by joining CLUB LOUl. Email alix@louisavestheearth.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment