Saturday, February 4, 2012

99 Days to The Gambia

When my employer at Spitfire Sunglass Design (USA) Inc. (Spitfire) told me I was invited to join OneSight at one of their global clinics this year I was in a state of disbelief. Their clinics for 2012 are in Chile, India, Thailand, The Gambia, South Africa, and Mexico.

OneSight Patient
If you knew me as a child, teenager, or college student you would know how much I wanted to go to Africa, how much I wanted to be like Jane Goodall and study wildlife in Africa. That was my plan in general since 4th grade - I thought I'd get a PhD. in Wildlife Biology and work in Africa.

Well, for those who knew me after college (and a Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Biology), it's possible Africa and a PhD. in Wildlife Biology wasn't something they'd associate with me. After working on an amazing field study in the Great Plains, collecting prairie plants and counting prairie-dogs, I felt I was almost wasting my time, playing, enjoying myself as a scientist - and I couldn't see how I'd really be able to conserve wildlife and the places I loved.

Malachite Kingfisher in The Gambia
So I moved on to law school, where I thought I'd find a path with more power to help wildlife. I received a Juris Doctorate in Law with a focus on Environmental Law, but came directly back to Chicago after graduation for a sick family member. What happened next was unexpected - marriage to my 3rd grade crush and three children.

I don't regret any of my decisions. I let go of Africa. I never thought of it as a place to visit. I only wanted to go there as a scientist.  I've been working for four years at Spitfire, enjoying the challenges of running a business, and enjoying the flexible hours (did I mention I have 3 kids?).

Some people ask, why aren't you doing something else, something bigger, something where you can use your degrees? (I have published a children's book, ran a small business for 3 years, and I do some writing and speaking - but I guess they mean a full time job).

Now I've received the coolest opportunity - not because of what I did personally either. My employer donated over 4,000 sunglasses/frames to OneSight in 2011. But she knows how I feel about Africa. And now I'm joining OneSight at a clinic in Africa. I'm scheduled to go to The Gambia in 99 days. I've applied for my first passport and already found out that The Gambia has some of the best birding anywhere (did I mention I love birding?).
Serekunda Market

What's amazing is this opportunity, not only to go to Africa, but to go with a purpose, to work, to help. That's very similar to my original goal I came up with decades ago. It's only for two weeks, but it's so much more. It's more than fulfilling a dream. It is, I feel, the very beginning of a dream being realized.

While I may continue to post on other green events, issues, and funny stories, my focus has turned to Africa and I hope you will join me over the next several months - on my journey as I prepare and then learn what I discover when I get there.

Alexandra Gnoske is a writer, blogger, author, and lover of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment