Thursday, December 20, 2012

Eating GMO free: Day Three

I was starring at this bag of blue corn chips last night. We had just returned from the kids' school Christmas show and I was hungry. Interestingly enough this bag of chips had this label on it I didn't notice when my husband brought it home. It said 'Non-GMO Project Verified.'

Garden of Eatin' Chips
Wow! I can eat this. And as I was starring at it, mouth watering, I realized something. In my effort to eat GMO free for a week I forgot I stated I would be GMO and processed food free...because Antonio Guiccardi (from the Natural Society) said the vast majority of processed foods have GMO's in them and to just avoid them in general.

Why do I speak before I think?! I totally over-limited myself.

Technically I shouldn't eat those chips. I turned to a gift my neighbors sent over that night, homemade granola. It was really really delicious. Am I going to be able to make it the whole week like this? Why was it so hard? Why haven't I gone grocery shopping yet?

Yesterday I slept bad. I had strange dreams. I woke up with a little headache. I weighed myself to find I had lost 1.5 pounds. At work my left arm started shaking. Last night the headache came back. Sleeping was even worse. I got out of bed on the verge of a migraine and decided I didn't care if Advil had GMO's in it (I hope it doesn't).

After that Advil and a banana I felt better. I dropped off the kids at school and walked the dog. I had the patience to make some juice. Later I was thinking, what's for lunch? A little olive oil (I said from the start this is my exception - I can't live without it - whether or not it would be considered processed), onion, garlic, 2 organic eggs. Garnish with a few slices of organic tomato, avocado and sea salt and herbal tea for my drink. I guess I'm not so deprived after all.

It would be nice to have a live in doctor doing tests to say what's changing inside. Is my body going through a detox? What's going on in there?

What's strange about this whole week-long experiment is I didn't even know about the Non-GMO project. They've been certifying foods as non-GMO since 2008.

NGP's mission is to preserve and build resources of Non-GMO products, educating consumers, and providing verified non-GMO choices. So I've found a great resource to help me better understand what is actually GMO free - of course I still said I wasn't eating processed food so I guess it really doesn't help this week.

I don't know what I'm eating tonight, but I'm sure it will involve quinoa and fresh made cranberries because that's in my house and I'm not sure when I'll get to the store.

Alexandra Gnoske is a nature lover, writer, and environmental expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment