Monday, January 21, 2013

Helping People Who Help People

It is with a full heart and much gratitude that I write this blog tonight.

Back in October, 2012 I joined a small group of people, eight to be exact, who would embark on a mission to bring 8,000 shoes to remote villages in Mozambique, Africa.

One pair of shoes may not seem like much, but in many parts of the world people have no shoes. People who say they have shoes are sometimes referring to plastic bottles or pieces of tires they have fashioned into 'shoes' using rope to secure them.

When I was chosen for this adventure I agreed to raise $2,900.00. I decided I could manage that by dividing it up - if I could get 116 people to donate $25.00 I would reach my goal. That made it seem more attainable.

Now that it is January 21st, with the help of many people, I have raised $1,920.00 and have only $980.00 to go! It is amazing to me how charitable people have been, especially over the holidays when things are tight, and especially during a time of economic difficulty. It is not always an easy thing to ask others for money, at least not for me. It is joyful though when people give money to help because they truly want to and I feel fortunate to be a part of this exchange.

During this time I have also raised over 600 pairs of shoes at my children's elementary school, and at least 50 additional pairs from neighbors and friends who heard about the mission and just wanted to help. I can't believe all the lives we are going to help just because I asked.

Finally, I have started communicating with the other participants and I am getting to know who these incredible people are. The stories and feelings they are sharing is a gift.


However, it is not just the eight of us going to Mozambique in May to bring shoes. It is each and every one of you who has contributed financially, donated your shoes, and helped with your support and encouragement. You will all be with us, you will all be helping to put shoes onto the feet of orphans and children living in poverty. You will be helping us change lives. We couldn't do it without all of you.

I will do my best to take pictures and take notes, to listen to stories and remember feelings. I want to make sure that you all get to experience what you helped make possible. I will of course write about the experiences here when I return.

If you are interested in contributing you still can! I still have $980.00 to collect before March 1st. You can write a tax deductible check and mail it to:

Soles for Jesus, Inc.
(on memo line: 'Alix - MZ 2013)
8480 N. 87th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53224

Please visit Soles for Jesus online and on Facebook to learn more about their incredible commitment to the children of sub-saharn Africa. And THANK YOU for all of your help, helping people help people!

Alexandra Gnoske is a nature lover, writer, and environmental expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment