Friday, December 14, 2012

OneSight: An Amazing Journey - Part Two

(Part of My December 2012 Series on Reading and Books too!)

While working with OneSight in The Gambia this May I met many different and special people; the OneSight volunteers and staff, as well as the people of The Gambia, especially the local volunteers, local clinic workers, translators, and hotel staff.

Paul - OneSight Coordinator and Sillah - Local Volunteer
I suppose I expected it would change my life as I had never traveled to Africa or immersed myself in another culture. I thought the life changing experience would come from helping a person see better and feeling gratitude for such an experience. But I was wrong.

If you have a moment this story starts before I got to The Gambia. It starts when I was invited January 2012. For some reason I thought it was essential that I go out and buy a copy of Paulo Coehlo's 'The Alchemist' for my trip. It was a persistent thought and wouldn't let me rest until I bought the book and put it in my suitcase.

I read the award winning novel years before but I thought that as I was finally living my dream of traveling to Africa to work/volunteer I should reread the essential book that's precisely about following your dreams. My plan was to exchange my book with a OneSight volunteer and discover something new by getting a different book. It didn't work out that way...

Back to Africa: We had this amazing volunteer Sillah. He was so patient with all the people, many of whom had traveled long distances, many who were scared by the unknown (the strange volunteers making them use strange machines, putting cold eye drops in their eyes, etc.), it was all very unusual for them. He treated everyone with respect and he was very eager to learn how to use the equipment and help us with anything else we needed. After a couple of days we relied on him as a translator and invaluable volunteer.

I learned at the end of the first week that Sillah didn't even work at the clinic or in health care. He lived in Brikama, so this was his community. He worked for a local book binding company and had taken time off work to help the members of his community. He was also a budding entrepreneur starting his own van company to transport tourists. I began forming an idea about a gift I wanted to give him.
Beautiful Gambia: Blue Breasted Kingfisher

In the mean time I was working in different parts of the clinic. One of my favorite jobs was just helping people move from the line to the benches for dilation and then into the clinic building. I took the time to learn a few local words in Mandinka so I could make The Gambians feel comfortable (The Mandinka are the largest local tribe and therefore most locals understand it). While helping some people and speaking my limited Mandinka I noticed a young boy watching me. I'm not sure why I caught his eye but I decided to visit with him. I showed him pictures of the people at the clinic on my camera and took his picture with his new sunglasses (needed to help protect his dilated eyes from the sun). His name - Babuku (I would say Bahbukah). I had him write it on my notepad. He found me before he left the clinic to say goodbye. Fortunately his eyes were fine.

He came to visit on another day. He brought me a carafe with little fish. I found Sainey, another local volunteer (probably 18) to help interpret for me. I learned Babuku was 14 (by his size I thought he was around 9) and the eldest of 6 and didn't go to school. I realized he was living in a limited situation. I asked him to come back on our last day, that I would have something for him. My plan was to give him my Chicago White Sox cap.
School Girls at Clinic

Again, my plan didn't work out as I thought it would.

First, Sillah went missing for a couple of days. Turns out his sister was badly burned while cooking and he took her to the hospital. Still he came back on our second to last day. I decided he would be the perfect recipient for 'The Alchemist.' Definitely a man who is following his dreams, Sillah was also a positive and energetic force. He was truly an inspiration. I wrote a note on the inside cover and humbly gave him the book.

The last day was a bit hectic. More people than we could serve had come. Word had traveled about the free eye care. I didn't see Babuku all day. Then I found out it was a local holiday, similar to Independence Day, where families have picnics and visit relatives.

We were wrapping up - no Babuku still - and so I found Sainey, my volunteer translator. He had helped me several times and so I thought I would give him my baseball cap as I had nothing else to give. He immediately 'liked' me on Face Book (we actually chat often).

And then Babuku walked in. Oh - what to do! I wanted to give him something meaningful but I didn't bring anything else to clinic that day. I said hello and asked him to wait. I reached into my bag remembering I had a marble of the Earth. While searching I found a nice pen I've had for years. An idea started to form. Then, fortunately, I found the Earth marble.

I turned to Sillah and asked if he would interpret...this was important. I held the pen out to Babuku and said, 'this is a special pen. You can use it to learn to write.' I handed it to him. Then I held out the marble and said, 'when you learn how to write the world will be yours.' It was hard not to cry. It overwhelmed me. I didn't plan that gift but in that very moment it all came together: Sillah, 'The Alchemist,' Babuku, and the pen and Earth marble - and something more.

Me and Babuku - the pen and Earth marble
I turned to Sillah and asked him if he would look in on Babuku from time to time as they both lived in Brikama. Of course he said he would. Then as the room quieted down Sillah stood up and began singing the Gambian National Anthem. After two weeks of helping so many wonderful people it was an emotional and powerful ending.

That night at our celebratory dinner the OneSight film director, Davide Gentile, asked me about Babuku and Sillah. I told him the story as I choked back my tears of overwhelming love and Gratitude. Davide enjoyed hearing it. He said, 'Perfect! And then did you tell Sillah to give the book to Babuku when he is ready?' 'No.' I replied. 'I put it into motion and that is all that I could do. It is up to Sillah and Babuku now.'

Of course I secretly hope that Sillah will be a mentor to Babuku and that Babuku will come to work for him one day, that he will eventually start his own business and break the cycle of poverty he is in. But that is not my story to write.

My story continues with Africa. Next May I will go to Mozambique with Soles for Jesus (you can read about that by clicking here). I haven't decided what book to bring. Maybe I'll bring 2 or 3. It's a long flight.
To READ Part One: CLICK HERE.

Alexandra Gnoske is a nature lover, writer, and environmental expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment